Pretty much the instant that I spotted the adorable tuxedo nails that Zooey Deschanel wore to last week’s Golden Globes on Twitter, I resolved to take a crack at DIYing them. They turned out really well (and were easy peasy to do.)
Here’s how to create your own version of Zooey’s black tie appropriate manicure at home.
- Paint nails white (I used OPI Alpine Snow.) You’ll likely need two to three coats for even coverage.
- Use a black polish (I used Barry M Black) to create thick reverse French tips along the free edge (ALL the best dressed nails are wearing cummerbunds this awards season, dahling.)
- Add three vertical black dots/dress buttons down the centre of each nail. I just used the nib of a ballpoint pen as a makeshift dotting tool (we’ve got a full tutorial here.)
- Use the edge of the black nail polish brush (or indeed a toothpick) to create an elongated ‘x’ at the base of the nail, and fill in with black polish. Voila – a bow tie.
- Finish with a fast-dry top coat like Seche Vite that will minimise drag, and then bring those fancy digits somewhere nice and show ’em a good time.
It just wouldn’t be fair to get them all gussied up and then have nowhere for them to go!