Shapewear has come a long way from the granny girdle and the cramped corsets of yore. The ladies of Downton would choke on their tepid tea if they could see the gigantic selection of secret scaffolding that’s now on offer.
So whether you are looking for a softer option for everyday use under your jeans or a stronger version that will give you killer curves under that party dress, we’ve got you, ah, covered.
- Bodyshapers give you all over control and a smooth line from your top to your bottom!
- Shaping Slips are the perfect piece of shapewear to wear underneath dresses. They won’t give you any VPL and some are cupless so you can wear your own bra.
- A waspie or a waist cincher will give you gorgeous, hourglass curves. Choose a waist controller with boning for superb support and a slimmer waist.
- High Waisted Control Pants are perfect for slimming you in to jeans and trousers and avoiding that ‘muffin top’ look.
- Thigh Shaping Pants not only slim your bum and tum, but also your hips and thighs too.
- Spanx has just launched its Red Hot label. This collection is targeted towards a younger customer, allowing support for the mini and bodycon trends and is a little more reasonable on the pocket.
Good, comfortable shapewear often doesn’t come cheap. Dunnes, Penneys and M&S are on the cheaper end of the scale but some women would not be prised away from (or out of) their Spanx. And Shapewear has hit its stride with some sexier options – no more hiding in the bathroom, wriggling around like you are trying to escape from the dislocated jaws of a boa constrictor.
Our picks of smoothing undies are more suited to a feather boa than a hungry one.
Do you swear by Spanx or is do you find Penneys just as effective? Do you have a lady’s maid to tie you in or is Himself and his muscles handier for the job? Tell us in the comments!