9 Tricks For Perfect Eyebrows

By Beautie | August 1 2012 | 31 Comments

My eyebrows are my life’s work, and once I discovered what I could do with them, you couldn’t hold me back. Born with the bushiest eyebrows known to woman thanks to my father’s Italian heritage, they were never my finest point growing up. In fact, at the age of thirteen my friend Nicola held me down and plucked the two caterpillars above my eyes to within an inch of their lives. I fought her, but once she was done I had those thin slips of brows so popular in the 1990s, and was delira with myself.

Me and my brows

I then bought a tweezers and continued to overpluck for the following nine years,until I started working in the meeeeeja, and realised that my brows were so passe. I discovered filling in and growing out and am now in possession of a pair that often receive compliments. Yay! So here I pass on the brow wisdom gleaned over the past few years.

1. If your arches are overplucked, try investing in a growth serum like RapidBrow – discussed here. It should fill in some gaps and give you a broader brow. I’m using it now, and I notice some difference so far – mine are still ridiculously sparse though.

2. If you’ve barely touched yours and they’re badly in need of a shaping, get thee to a threader, stat! There’s a lot of chat about HD brows and their ilk at the mo, but threading is at the core of all of these treatments. Threading will shape your brows to suit your face, and give you a maintainable line to work with in the future.

3. Now the shape is right, maintenance should be easy. Avoid letting them grow back like bushes, and pluck yourself with a tweezers when you see a few little hairs pop up. Do it after the shower and before bed, so your pores are open and you don’t frighten anyone with red eyebrow skin.

4. I don’t think there’s a set of brows in the world that wouldn’t benefit from some filling in, except perhaps Lily Collins – I can’t decide if her’s are gorgeously full or a little furry. I think pencil is the easiest for beginners, and also has the most impact. I love Estee Lauder’s Automatic Brow Pencil Duo – the pencil is fine and the brush spreads the product evenly across your brows. For those on a budget, Rimmel’s eyebrow pencil is also brillo. Estee Lauder’s needs a heavier hand; with Rimmel, go easy. Apply the pencil in light strokes, as if you’re drawing on hair by hair.

5. If you’re good with a brush, use a clean flat, angled brush (like MAC 208) and a shade of eyeshadow one lighter than your hair. Use the same technique, stroking on hairs. I find this looks more natural, but hasn’t the same drama as pencil.

6. I find (as a sweaty Betty) that sometimes my brows er, come off after some particularly vigorous walking or dancing. Keep them in place with a slick of clear mascara on top, or using Givenchy’s Mr Eyebrow fixing pencil.

7. Make the most of your manicured brows by highlighting your arch. I use Benefit High Brow Glow, or even a smidgen of my undereye concealer, L’Oreal Lumi Magique. Faaaaabulous.

8. With bold brows, you either have to commit to a full on bold look a la Lily Collins, or let your strong brow do the talking with relatively simple make-up elsewhere like the stunning Jennifer Connelly. You decide – I’m all for the lashing on of the make-up, obvs.

Lily Collins doesn’t shy away from slap.

Jennifer Connelly lets her arches do the talking.

9. When I take my make-up off, alas my brows disappear with it. Eyebrow tinting is grand, but it doesn’t last long on me, and being more fair than I allow myself to look my bold brows don’t suit my make-up free face. I’m trying to grow my natural brows out, but I fear I ruined them for life. My solution if I must leave the house sans slap is to comb them through and put a little Vaseline on my brows to keep them from fading into my face.

How about you? What’s your brow personality, and how do you show ‘em off?

Celebrity Watch, Eyes, Hair, Tutorials , , , , , ,

31 Replies to "9 Tricks For Perfect Eyebrows"

• OtherMary says:

My eyebrows thin out towards the ends, but when I tint them, they look thicker because the tips are lighter, and so are the roots.

I used to love Rimmel’s pencil, I used to love MAC’s pencil, I used to love Benefit’s Brow Zings. But now I love Illamasqua’s Eye Brow Cake. For me it is better than any of the aforementioned; light but pigmented, it does not come off during the day and blends very well. I set my brows with hair gel in an empty mascara tube. Wax never worked for me, and special eyebrow gels are too weak.

I thread, pluck and tint my own eyebrows to get the exact results I want. I have had it done but I have not been completely happy with the results. Hairs on the upper lip are much easier to thread than eyebrows, by the way. 30 seconds and done.

• Kitty In The City says:

Ha ha, when I was 19 my sister almost had to hold me down too, they were a bit on the large and ragged side. I’ve always kept them full, and love them that way, but I do go for threading every couple of months. It really does make a difference to my face.

• Eadaoin says:

I like Bobby Brown blonde brow mascara for my light eyebrows

• Lurganista says:

I was a blonde child & so my eyebrows are part brown part blonde!
    I’ve seen a lot of HD brows that resemble Scouse brows, whilst they may suit very young 16 yr old hipsters for me my HD brows are very natural. I believe make-up should enhance not mask & brows are the finishing touch to any eye make-up.
    I ? Smashbox Brow Tech in Taupe, the original complete with brush, & the Brow Tech on the go! I’d say they might make my dessert island must haves!

• Elmo says:

Your eyebrows are fierce don’t get me wrong and you are beautiful but they could just do with a little “even-ing” out, they start off too thick and go too thin it’s just a bit too unnatural for my liking. Why not thicken the whole brow? Please don’t take offence, I swear I’m not a bitch :/

• Vicki says:

@Elmo don’t worry, I’ve a thick skin! I think it comes down to personal preference, and some days mine will be thicker than others depending on how heavy handed I am – I like them bushier on the inside, but that’s just me! They suit my face better than the thin slips I used to have, anyway.

• Elmo says:

@Vicki I’m glad. I personally just think you could rock a thick brow. Anything is better than thin slips though, that or blondes who don’t think they need to bother. I think my eyebrow obsession is verging on an illness at this point though…

• Vicki says:

@Elmo I never used to understand my BFF Nadia’s obsession with eyebrows when we were teenagers, but now I’m the worst – I can take agin somebody purely on the strength (or weakness!) of their brows. Shallow, obvs, but still.

• Elmo says:

@Vicki, my friends could never understand mine. It’s only when you see what a difference they make that you understand the obsession. I have converted soooo many friends and not one of them can leave the house without their brows now. I think we should set up a group? “BAA” Brow Addicts Anonymous, we could judge people out of ten on their eyebrows and vote on which celeb has the best and worst ;)!

• miffyonline says:

I wish someone would have introduced me to a pair of tweezers when I was in my prime (ie 20′s) – I look back at photos and all I can see are my bushy grandad eyebrows. :(

I love eyebrow products now and get threaded regularly. Brows really frame the face and can make you look really well-groomed.

I use some or all of the following: Benefit Brow Zings, Bobbi Brown Blonde eyeshadow, Essence clear mascara, Catrice eyebrow pencil, Laura Mercier brow pencil (excellent) and a brown eyeshadow from Illamasqua. All depending on the look I’m going for ;)

• Elmo says:

@miffyonline, the sleek eyebrow kit is only a fraction of the cost of the benefit browzings and I for one think it’s better. You can get it on beautyemporium.ie.

I’m the same, I hate looking back on photos where I look like I’ve a massive forehead because my damn eyebrows are so blonde!

All hail the eyebrow products!

• dubmel says:

I keep my brow in ok-shape (I hope!), but I think their shape could be much better. Is there anybody in the city centre any of you could recommend?
    I want something natural looking, and adapted to my face.. and I am too afraid to go anywhere without a good recommendation…

• avicakes says:

My mate used to call me ‘dolphin face’ because he said my eyes were so far apart. I realised now it’s largely the fault of my eyebrows, which start only above the inside of my eye. When I try to pencil them longer on the inside it’s way too obvious that i’m just colouring in skin & there’s no hair there. Any super ideas or similar slim shadies?

• TeaLover says:

er how HAWT is Vicki?! Great post also. :)

• SJP's Missing Mole says:

I am deeply, DEEPLY upset that Revlon’s Brow Fantasy is only available in the US. Why don’t they release it here??

I bought one in the States lately and am raging that I didn’t buy two – there’s a pencil at one end and a tinted gel at the other, and it comes in different shades. Amazeballs!

• SJP's Missing Mole says:

Forgot to mention, the best thing about the Brow Fantasy is that the gell is as hard as iron. You could be in the middle of a tornado and it ain’t budging. Also, it’s kinda dry – some gels stay wet forever.

Am totally gonna buy it on evilbay after this one runs out.

• Edelmc says:

I use mac eye shadow in omega and the clear brow gel. If I want more dramatic results I use mac brow pencil in lingering and inglot brow wax

• Gracie says:

I have very similar full brows to Jennifer Connolly (I don’t have her face unfortunately). They are straight-ish with almost no arch. It goes straight, then kind of arches down where normal people have arches. It is very hard to explain so I’m glad that there is a visual aid in this post :) I (or Jennifer Connolly) don’t need an arch really when you have that thick in-your-face brows.

But frankly, I love them. I had them when thick brows were out of fashion and everybody was telling me to pluck the hell out of them. I have them now when people (some are the same as the previous group) are admiring them. Though, the trend is changing again to thinner, as I see. Anyway, I’ll always have them however I want.

I get them threaded, which in my opinion is the best way for brow shaping. I asked my threader(?) about the whole HD brows. It is basically just threading and tinting. So, it is the thing which has been around for a long time, just packaged in a different way. My threader (beautician?) doesn’t even tint mine as she thinks I don’t need it. So, don’t get it done in a place you don’t trust. You might end up with freakish results.

• Rachael says:

I’m so happy to have found people who are as obsessed with eyebrows as I am! They are the first feature I notice when I look at someone’s face and I have a ‘top 5 celebrity eyebrow list’ (Lucy Hale, Camilla Belle, Kim Kardashian, Anne Hathaway and Penelope Cruz if you are wondering!!)

I have relatively straight brows with practically no arch, but they are dark and thick. I use Clarins eyebrow pencil in light brown (during the day for work) and the dark brown shade for going out or when I’m going for a more dramatic look – I have very dark brown hair so I can pull it off! My brows are a little unruly so I use the No7 lash and brow perfector over the pencil which keeps them in place all day – not bad value when used with the No7 voucher.

My Clarins pencil is nearly used up so I’m thinking what to try next. Although it’s good, it is nearly 20 quid. I really want to try a shadow – I might try something like charcoal brown by Mac next time I’m in BT’s.

• littlesis says:

i’m a blonde who had barely any brow until recently. I need to wear a brow powder or have them tinted all the time, or I look like a turtle (they don’t have brows!)

I use an angled brush and either Benefit Browzings (though I hear Sleek do an identical product for a quarter of the price) or a HD palette.